As a Methodist community of worshipers, St. Stephen's is one of the oldest religious congregations in the area. From the times of early American Methodism, circuit riders (pastors traveling on horseback) such as Francis Asbury, ministered to the rural communities of what is now the northwest area of the Bronx.
The group of worshippers eventually became known as the Mosholu Methodists. In 1825, the congregation was established and on February 14, 1835, it was incorporated as The Methodist Episcopal Church Bethel. The first location was on 251st Street and the Old Albany Post Road. The church changed its name to St. Stephen's Methodist Episcopal Church in 1876, when it moved to Broadway between 231st Street and Verveelen Place.
When The Methodist Episcopal Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968, the congregation changed their name to St. Stephen's United Methodist Church. The church moved to its current site at 228th Street and Marble Hill Avenue in 1898.
The Reverend Nathaniel Dixon, Senior Minister has been the Pastor of St. Stephen's United Methodist Church in the Northwest Bronx for 12 years now. A retired teacher/administrator from the NYC Department of Education.
Also founder and director of the SATURDAY MUSIC ACADEMY and Executive Director of the SAXRACK LEARNING CENTER, Inc and an established jazz musician.
Reverend Nathaniel Dixon holds three masters degrees from Bank Street College, Columbia Teachers College, and Drew Theological Seminary.
His commitment to spiritual leadership, educational achievement for all and excellence in programming for young people and older adults has had a positive effect on the Marble Hill community and beyond.